View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 02:24 PM   #6

Since there is no “Before you buy” or “First time buyers” section, I will put this here.

1. Call the company you are thinking of buying from before clicking “buy it now” If they aren’t answering the phone before they have your money don’t expect them to after. Ask them how they deal with the MCO (Manufacture’s Certificate of Origin). Ask if they will be shipping from their location or having it drop shipped from a warehouse somewhere. If it is coming from them they should be able to fill out the VIN and all the information before shipping the bike. Then have them mail it to you separately.
2. Pay with a credit card. If you pay with Visa or MasterCard (not a Check card even if it has the logo). You will then have up to 90 days to file a dispute with Visa. Don’t wait 90 days. If your paperwork isn’t strait in 30-40 file the dispute, you can always retract it. Visa is not in the business of helping you rip off dealers they will investigate your claim. You will need to send the bike back in the same condition it arrived in. So no test rides around the neighborhood. The dealer can legitimately charge a “restocking fee” I’m not sure of this but I think Visa limits it to 20%. You will likely not be reimbursed for any shipping fees. But two or three returns will drive the fly by night guys out of business.
3. Know the law. Do your research before hand. Find out if your state/providence will allow the vehicle to be registered and what is needed before hand. Do you need insurance? Will your insurance company insure it? Also find out where the dealer is and find out what laws protect you in their location. Some states do a better job than others.

I’m sure others can add more advice but hopefully this will help someone.