Thread: Rx3s
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Goshawk - Good for you. You know what you're comfortable with, and you're standing by your decision. Will a sub-400lb bike check all the boxes of what you want to do all the time? Maybe, Maybe not. But sub-400lbs for you makes you ride comfortable, and that's the key. There's no enjoyment having a little gremlin gnawing at the back of your mind "You know, if you put this thing down for any reason, you'll never get it back up. And I'll be right here laughing at you as you become increasingly frustrated and fatigued trying..." I think the stock DR650 tucks in just below your magic number, and I've found mine to be hugely capable of chewing up whatever I throw at it. I know that several DR's have even been or Round the World trips. I just rolled 10,000 miles on mine, and it hasn't given me a lick of problems.
an older guy on Adventure Rider, I think, has mega miles (over 100K) on his DR650 and like you, hasn't had any trouble with it. Great bikes but (isn't there always a but) they are waaay too tall for my stubby legs and that is another scary factor, can you take a quick dab to keep yourself upright, or is it all over by the time your foot hits the ground? I did appreciate the accessible seat height of the RX3, and its very relaxed riding position. I hope the RX4 is as favourable to us vertically challenged riders.
I looked at a like new, 2007 DR650 with 1500 miles on it. Currently on Craigs List for $2800, but the only way I can mount it is by using the LH footpeg. It did not augur well for an off road get-off.