View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
You lack imagination. Or experience.

Hydraulic system failure, due to bad seal or burst line - you are SOL until new ones arrive. Unless you travel with extra fluid, lines, and seals. Much harder to field repair, if at all.

Broken cable - I can name several ways to field repair a broken cable to limp you home. Some that can be done with just a bit of bailing wire, or small cable clamps, both of which can be easily hidden away in a small baggie under the seat, wrapped around a part of the frame etc.

That said, properly maintained cables should last a very very long time.

Or that a good high quality Venhill cable kit is less than 20 bucks, and I always keep one on hand. If I break a cable, I can whip together a new one in 15 to 20 minutes with a small pen torch, some wire cutters, and solder.

Keep in mind that I love Hydro clutch setups. I have converted many of my own bikes to Hydraulic, but I will never discount the advantages of a cable setup.
on a dirt only setup, i would run a cable hands down... on a (soon to be) daily driven bike in city traffic? ill take the hydro LOL as for failed hydro? rev it up and drop it in gear... i hardly ever clutch between gears, only to stop/start.... so....LOL its always doable....