Thread: Storm jets.
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by china007 View Post
I'm still having trouble finding the jets that I posted in post 15. I purchased to sets and they are not even close. I even bought an online carb rebuild kit listed for this carb and it was the wrong one. I'm about to just buy the mikuni but what are your thoughts. Any help for the right parts would be greatly appreciated.
This is the reason I recommend just buying a Mikuni as soon as you decide jetting changes are going to be required. Do yourself another favor and only buy genuine Mikuni jets. The knock-off jets are not made accuratly enough. For non-racing bikes I set them up this way: I set the idle fuel screw at 1 1/2 turns out, and change pilot jets until I get as close to a perfect 1300-1400 rpm idle as possible. Then I put the needle D-ring in the middle slot on the needle. Now I change main jets to get good open throttle mixture. I use the roll-on roll-off methoed. Don't do the full throttle test until you've been riding it for 15-20 minutes, so that the engine is well warmed up. Then ride it hot and winding, but not all the way to the rev limiter. Roll off the throttle 1/8th of a turn with the twist grip. Immediatley roll it all the way back on. If the bike immediatly revs, the main jet is too lean. If it stumbles it is too rich. You must do this in high gear in order to really load the engine. When you get the main jet right then adjust your idle mixture screw for highest idle speed (screw should end somewhere between 1 1/4 open to 1 3/4 open) with the idle mixture screw. Reset idle speed at 1250-1400 rpm. Now ride the bike back and forth through the 1/4 throttle position to make sure you have a smooth transition. If it isn't, adjust the needle up (Richer) or down (leaner) no more than 1 notch, and you should be good to go...ARH