View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 12:42 AM   #15

Whoa! Deja Vu!

Once again: "I see, said the blind man."

So much for "Asking in an unbiased manner". Ask a pointed question to get responses like "It doesn't matter what it looks like." Well that's a little different from the long list of demands people expect from their motorcycles and I'm a little confused as to why the sudden difference: one minute demanding consumers and the next minute something else.

Could someone please explain how a banner change would decrease the quality of the content?

The question I'm asking is what if a site could could have a better interface AND more (good) information AND support/attract a larger community? Then what? How would these things happen without some changes? If people want six speed transmissions, bigger engines and proper repair manuals, then the community is going to have to grow and mature - not "sometime" but now.

It needs a larger body of people working together. Many here are aware that none of this happens in theoretical land it takes hard work and constant innovation - which is, btw, the same thing we ask from manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
BTW - I am aware chinariders.net is hardly the pinnacle of web design. My issue with this message is not the idea that chinariders.net is in need of a facelift or the concept of a 'banner contest', it's the derogatory and preechy tone of the message. Every hear the old adage, "You get more flies with honey than vinegar".
If you know it's not the best you can do then why not change it? What, if any, plans do you have to improve the site? You're the administrator so you're the only one who can do it and also why aren't there any other moderators? I can't see a reason why I should have to "honey" up anything and I'm not even sure that would make a difference. I know it sounds preachy and derogatory but at root it's honesty...personal and direct honesty. You may not like or even understand it but this is how my friends and family deal with me, and this is how I deal with them. We call it "hard love" and it's what I've learned on the road.

The response PM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
I've put it to the community - see suggestion box.

BTW, I didn't shoot down the idea of a contest, I just wanted to discuss it first. Apparently I don't move fast enough for you.
I think you have a funny sense of "discussion" but at least your last point makes some sense. The industry moves fast and there's need for changes - not next year or never - but weekly and monthly. This is about passion and wanting to take a major part in something we all enjoy.

I am aware that levels of interest and commitment in this field will vary but if the man in charge isn't prepared or willing to be "pro-active", then like I said in the PM, they should be ready to be replaced because as competition has it, someone will.

Just calling it as I see it folks - flame it if you want to. The wheels are turning and I want to be ready to move with possible benefits for everybody. A banner change is just one tiny part of what I perceive to be a bigger picture. There's more...

Crazy "Blind Man" Carl

"The Return - Riding Western China" movie site:
http://www.motocyclops.com