View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #7

I'm at exactly 3000 miles (4250 odometer, 1.42x error) on my Hawk. Mine is a 2015, tagged in 12/15. I originally bought it to access some back areas of my deer lease, but I've liked having it around so much, I keep it at the house and fart around on it running errands and stuff. Longest round trip has probably been about 100 miles.

It's almost completely stock - only mods are a 17T front, some redneck adjustments to the stock carb, and the airbox mod. Like virtually everyone, I had to set the valve clearance initially. I've probably had to adjust and maintain everything a little bit, but just what I would consider routing maintenance.

Worst thing that has happened is I hit a patch of algae crossing a creek at about 500 miles and laid it down. Scrapped up some stuff, replaced a mirror, had to realign the triple-t, and reassembled the steering. But no long term problems from that. Only other minor thing was a bad weld on the gas tank that I fixed with JB Weld - that's been holding OK for about 800 miles now. The sliding key cover on the gas cap didn't survive a drop. One of the rear spokes broke, but I'll replace that when I get around to the tires. New battery too.

I'm hitting the point for some maintainance. Knobbys are just about shot - I already have new tires waiting. Since I've been spending 90%+ on asphalt, I'm going with 50/50s and I'll drop the rear sprocket to a 45T. I should mentiong though, that even with the 17/50 I've been using, along with the carb mod, that kept me in the low 60s when I've had to get on a bigger road. I'm going to install heavy duty tubes and finally get some fork oil or ATF into the forks themselves. I hope that will get me another 3000.

That's about it - not too bad for a $1300 bike.
Attached Images