Thread: Hawk locking up
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Hawk View Post
Thanks, I am beginning to feel like an expert. After replacing the piston and rings on my sons 125cc and it running better than ever now(no more white smoke) I feel like I’m getting there. Now to just replace these broken gears. I found nothing foreign in the engine just one more tooth, that makes 5 total. I also found half a clip of something not sure where it came from, I’m sure it’s from the engine though. I have about 5k miles on it, the only thing I can really think of that caused the teeth to break is I started using synthetic oil. I went from changing my oil every two weeks with Rotella 15w40 to synthetic rotella and I was probably 3 weeks in when it broke. I doubt it was the oil change but I’m never using synthetic again just to be safe. Here’s a pic of the last tooth and something else I found in there. Also does anyone know why my pics don’t come out with better resolution when I post them on here?
I don't know what caused this (my WAG is an improperly heat treated spring broke and went through the gear train), but I know what did NOT cause it. Synthetic oil.....ARH