View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #21

Alrighty then, after work my son and I adjusted the exhaust valve using a .003 thou feeler gage which is close to .07 mm I think. The valves are probably now at around .004/.005. Didn't adjust the intake valve as it was probably .005/.006"
It fired up and ran for a bit but we didn't have gas tank on it so probably ran out of fuel.
The tick noise went away I first heard.
We plugged off the 1/4" hose from carb with a dowel and had the hole coming out of the cylinder head open and exhaust came out of it and smoked a rag we held over it.
So a couple of questions?
1) What should I set valve clearance at? Are both the same?
2) I'll make a plate to cover the Air recirculation thingy hole in the cylinder head so exhaust wont come out. I'm assuming that it is a direct hole into the exhaust port so exhaust will come out?
3) On the header pipe below the spark plug is a fatter part maybe 4" long inline with the header. Is that the catalytic converter?
4) Now that it ran, how noisy are these motors because I think I hear noise from bottom end like noisy crank bearings but don't know if this is normal to these motors or not.
5) After we plug the air recirc hole in head we'll put tank on and see if we can just run it sitting there for 3-5 minutes and see what it sounds like after sitting for the past 1 1/2 years.
6) I can kick start it but trying electric start just sucks battery down and wont start with electric starter
7) do these have a counter balance in the motor?
Anything else we should check on it?
Thanks for all your help guys, Rob