View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #1

Polar Bear Ride 2018

Let's just say it was cold.

Yes, that says -10F.

This thermometer didn't help my confidence either.

Dammit, it started. Gotta go now.

Normally, this is supposed to be a 35 to 50 mile ride but I cut it short for two reasons. One, it was just too cold for a longer ride. And two, a longer ride would have required a fuel stop and, well, see reason one.

As this was the coldest I've ever ridden a motorcycle, I was decked out in layers. Fleece lined base layer longies and long sleeved t-shirt along with polypro sock liners. Heavy wool blend socks over the liners. Jeans and a flannel shirt. Outer gear consisted of Wall insulated overalls, a Swedish Army winter motorcycle parka, old Sorels, a Bilt balaclava and a pair of mid range Bilt MC gloves. My winter MC gloves don't fit in the mitts.

I wasn't all that uncomfortable on the ride to the donut shop, except for my wrists. Even in the mitts, I was getting cold wind up my sleeve. I've had that parka for over 12 years and never noticed I could button the sleeves closed. No problems on the ride home after learning that tidbit.

The Ural wasn't all that happy, took a long time to warm up(duh). I was probably asking a lot of it with the extra cold temps. Anyway, I took the slow route to Crystal Lake to keep from getting too chilled. That was a six of one, half a dozen of the other, choice. By the time I got to the donut shop, the face shield on the helmet was pretty iced up.

Had coffee and donuts and BS'ed for a bit, then made for home. Hit reserve fairly close to home, so I wasn't too concerned about having to refuel. Even though it warmed up a whole five degrees, the ride home felt much colder. Except for the wrists. They were fine. And electric grips are the catsass.

At the donut shop. Just a bit of salt on the parking lot.

See, it warmed up.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts