Thread: RX4 talk
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #20

Anything lighter than the RX3 with Tourfellas becomes a kite when a speeding semi passes. Happened to me on my RX3. Adventure bikes catch a lot of wind with windshield, hand guards, double front fenders raised rear fender rumpflyer styling, and luggage. I'm not sure the RX3 modded with more speed would be safe when the luggage was empty. Loaded, no problem. 2 up, no problem.

As for the mechanical excellence of the RX3, I must have a lemon. Both brakes warped rotors, rear pads cracked linings, coolant and oil leaks, parts falling off, hardware falling out, etc. Reminds me of Japanese bikes of the early '60s. Then, way too much time for simple maintenance like an oil change with so many filters/screens/plugs, way to much time to get to the valves for adjustment, then reassemble the bike, etc. I can do a complete service on one my TW200s in about the same time it takes to adjust the valves on the RX3. Working on the road days at a time I resent the hours of riding lost to maintenance and repairs on the RX3.

The RX3 is a wonderful bike, rides and handles well (19-inch front a big improvement on the street), stops well (with upgraded brakes), good lighting (especially with 35watt HID headlight), comfy with accessory seat, etc. The RX3 is pretty good at lots of things, but excellent at not much. Typical bike with widely ranging capabilities, dirt trails to highways and everything in between. It is a great performing package at a very good price, but mine has been a maintenance nightmare compared to my significantly modded TW200 adventure version with practically identical capabilities, other than the TW will walk away from the RX3 in soft terrain because it has so much more traction. For those who don't know, the TW's front tire is bigger than the RX3's rear tire, and the TW's rear tire is bigger than the tires on some cars, and that kind of traction requires a significantly different riding style some people can never adapt to to function well, so if you're one of those, the RX3 is a much better choice. Don't forget the modded RX3 costs about half the modded TW200, weeks less labor and minds less knowledge, and gives up only the extreme traction which some people actually find threatening.