View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #30

Thanks for all the information guys, it looks like I got my work cut out for me. To be honest, this could be fun if I had a garage to do it in (I will in 2 weeks, I'm so excited). But not today, today is my sons birthday so I got to spend some time with him. I'll start looking into getting the parts and figuring out how to remove the wheel and chain tomorrow.

I did bend back the chain guard, and sprayed a healthy coat of chain greese on the chain. After which I couldn't help myself but took it for a ride up and down the street yesterday (put like 1 mile on the bike during 3/4 trips to the corner of the street and back).

I will take your advise (that's the reason I was asking) and will either dip the chain into oil if I can find some, or purchase a new chain if the price is negligibly different. Just sprayed it with oil now because I had already bought some and have not taken the wheel off yet.

I did notice two more things, the idle is sporadic, it revs high and then the next time you come to a pause from running a little it almost dies without any consistency after running for a while and being warmed up. during cold it is hard to keep running, but then afterwards when it is warmed it either revs really high, or really low. giving it extra gas to see if the idle will set at a more neutral place does nothing. but it you ride it for a minute and come back it will be the opposite most likely, then next time you move it and come back it will be the opposite side, sometimes (like once) it idled where I thought it should after moving it. Turning the idle screw on the carbarator will adjust it, but that does not help if the next time it is idling at opposite because now it is worse on the opposite end.

The front tire originally it had oil under the speedometer sensor next to the wheel. I wondered where it was from but wiped it off because surely the sensor doesn't have oil in it right?? but then when checking it again it I found more. It is dark brown oil (not grease) and looks like it is coming from the open space right next to the speedometer sensor (opposite the front brake) where I would imagine the front wheel bearings are located inside. Its a space between the tire and the axel. I will get pictures and upload them.
Also, I checked the rear sprocket, you are correct, it wiggles. Not really really loose, but it does. the odd thing about that is that the screws seem to wiggle with it too.
I also checked the chain guide, it is rubber and seems to be in the place it is supposed to be. BUT, the chain rides directly on top of it. I can see how this may not last long as I imagine that chain would eat up that guide pretty quickly once the bike is actually being used. I will get pictures for you and post them.
I hope you all are having a great weekend!!