View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
Good evening and thanks in advance for any assistance.

I purchased a brand new hawk 250 that arrived yesterday. I paid the extra to have the bike put together by the company selling it so that it was "ready to ride" when arriving. Unfortunately it has problems.

First issue: I changed the oil first with some good oil. But there is conflicting instructions. Many people say to add a quart and look to make sure it is in the middle of the sight glass, the manual says to use the dip stick. I am confused as to which to use. If it is to be at the middle of the sight glass I need to add some more oil because I see it in the bottom of the sight glass, but its not in the middle. However the dipstick is about correct. How do I know if I have the right amount of oil?

Second issue: Running the bike, it did not want to start. would try to run but would die. I needed to turn on the choke to get it to run. Which automatically when form Full choke to no choke? Does this bike really switch over by itself or was this a fluke?

Third issue: This bike smelled awefull!!! it had smoke pouring out of the exhaust. it really smelled bad. like the rubber was melting or something. Why this awerful smell?

Fourth: The exhaust pipe off the head turned bright red. I have never seen something like this before. Why is the pipe so hot, and what can I do about it?

Fifth: On the exhaust, there is a connector coupling? that connects the pipe from the header to the exhaust pipe. This was really loose and smoke was coming out of it too. How tight is that supposed to be?

Sorry for all the noob questions. I really appreciate any assistance. I am good with my hands and tools (residential and commercial maintenance), but never touched vehicles or motorcycles. I so want to ride a bike, but don't have much money and thought this would work out well, now I am scared I'm way over my head.
Don't worry, you are not in over your head, as any problems that come up have already been discussed (sometimes to death!) right here on ChinaRiders Forum....ARH