View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiechode View Post
Hello. New to this forum and new to owning a Magician. I bought a brand new Magician a few weeks ago. I checked out reviews on youtube etc… before I bought it and I knew that it was going to need some adjustments to get it running right. I am to a degree mechanically inclined. I’m not a professional by any means but I know enough to get by.

So after the bike arrived I had some help assembling it. Got everything together and went to put gas in it in order to start it. Suddenly I noticed gas was leaking all over the ground. After tracing the leak it was coming from the overflow on the carb. The floats were stuck. As many of you may know, the carb has tamper proof screws on the bowel, so I had to use a dermal to get them off. Fixed the floats. Got the carb back together and the throttle was sticking. Took some work to get the slide moving again but it still sticks sometimes. Finally after realizing there is a kill switch on the kick stand that prevents the bike from starting in neutral I got the bike started. It ran really rough and took some adjusting on the idle screw to get it somewhat ridable. I took it around the block, put maybe half a mile on it tops, somehow the odometer says I went 3 miles. There is no way I did. After further inspection I noticed the left turn signals do not work. The back break pads stick and there are a number of other small bugs I have to hammer out because right now it runs like shit and it is not safe to drive.

My question is this…. I saw a few videos on replacing the carburetor with an actual Makuni, putting a new jet in. ( ) I also saw some things about replacing the stock exhaust and using air pods instead of the stock air box. How much more of a benefit would this make? I am pretty sure I want to replace the carb, just because it is clear that the stock one is complete garbage. I don’t know about the air filter and exhaust. I know that this bike was going to need some adjustments, but it wasn’t suppose to arrive to me broke and not running. I did not think I was purchasing a brand new project bike. Any one else having similar issues? and thoughts? What is the best size jet to use? I am at about 600 FT above sea level. Does anyone have any recommendations on an aftermarket exhaust for this Magician? How do I fix the odometer?

any help anyone can give me on how to get this thing running better would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this.
Well, maybe I can help you out a little bit. As far as the rear brake pads sticking is concerned, usually that has two possible causes. Too much fluid in the rear master cylinder. Or air in the fluid. Try reducing the amount of fluid in the rear master cylinder down to the full line first. If that doesn't fix it, go to the store and buy a new can of DOT 3 brake fluid, and bleed the brakes. Since you bought a new can of fluid, I would recommend that you keep bleeding until all traces of that brown brake fluid that came in the bike is gone. Then finish the job up, and see if it is fixed. You did clean the rotors with brake cleaner when you put the bike together, right? I would change to a Mikuni carb because the jets are easier to find. It is possible to find Keihin jets, but they are not easy to get....ARH