View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #9

I did use a butane torch but maybe I didn't leave it on long enough. I didn't want the paint to start coming off the cover. Anyways read below for where I'm currently at or anyone who is interested in how a parts warranty claim might go in a situation like this.

I didn't get a response back from CSC and after a few days I knew I'd have to call them (they're normally very good about replying). And as anyone with two jobs and multiple young children who run around screaming and hanging on you constantly knows, it can be hard to find a quiet place or time to make an important phone call. So by coincidence CSC actually emailed me about contacting a potential customer since I'm in their affiliate program. My response was I'd be happy too except my bike was in multiple pieces and I need to contact them about parts warranty.

Long story short they forward my email to Gerry and I explain the situation. His response:

"The left crankcase plug sometimes are difficult to remove. I have had the same issue from time to time. What you have done so far is sometimes necessary. I will send you a new plug for replacement.

These plugs are soft and it’s very important you use a quality Allen socket to install / remove.

Please email me directly if I can help any further

Thank you
Csc service manager
Gerry Edwards"

Okay not too bad except I couldn't get the plug out and I'd like a whole new cover. At least he's aware of the issue. The only problem is they won't warranty the part unless I continue to attempt to remove the plug. Gerry's exact words: "

"You can cut the plug out or drill out.
Or use a dremel to remove most of it until you can unscrew.
You will need to purchase the cover if you want it
Its 36.50
Gasket 12.60"

Then after I complain a bit about it not being worth the effort because I'm pretty sure I'll damage the threads in the cover and for $36 I don't want to spend even more time on an issue he knows exists. A Dremel with a cutting wheel doesn't work well in tight spots when trying to cut at 90 degrees, and being aluminum it clogs grinding stones or maybe I don't have the right bit. Drilling is fine but I don't have a proper bit large enough, and I'd need a huge one, so all I can come up with is using a small bit to drill very close to the threads and hope I can get it out. Response:

If you damage the cover while trying to remove the plug, then I will include the cover as a warranty.

But it seems you haven’t got that far yet?
So , if you just want the cover, I need to retail it.

I can’t send a cover , under warranty, because you are requesting it.

Please help me here.

CSC motorcycles has a generous warranty program, but there are procedures that need to be followed.

Is the cover damaged because of the seized plug?

If yes, no problem. I can send needed parts

Again not a terrible response, and an understandable policy, but I did tell him I thought it was not a realistic request for the average home mechanic especially when its a $36 part that I'm likely to damage in the process anyway. However I'll make the attempt today and see how it goes.