View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
My Rhino engine got hot enough to melt the sole of my shoe on the clutch cover while doing a steep 2000' climb in 1st gear on a hot day. The engine didn't seem to mind but that's pretty darn hot. The motorcycle engine never works that hard at such a low speed. Might mount a muffin fan on the oil cooler with a bi-metal disk switch to turn it on when needed.
I was out on my TT250 the week before last on a commute in stop/go traffic, nearly 90F and high humidity, including slipping the clutch in an uphill steep crawl...real torture stuff. the air itself was like a hairdryer. The engine was fine, didn't seem to bother it at all.

However, the clutch - as has been written about here in a few cases - is very sensitive to temperature. My clutch lever developed slack as the plates expanded(I have it adjusted on the tight side anyway) and neutral was difficult if not impossible to get. After a stretch running at 50mph in clear air it all tightened again. I suspect the plate and fibre components (cheap as they are, I have a spare set) have a lot of expansion in them.

I'm considering an oil cooler for this reason alone, it's just common enough to be annoying.

From experience it becomes an issue running in weather above 70F. On a regular back-road bash on the weekend you wouldn't even notice it, but if you go offroad having put some heat in the clutch pack, you'll notice it dragging, clattering and engaging with a jolt.

It's a real shame there aren't some good aftermarket kits as it's the only thing on the bike I'd spend some top dollar on to sort out.