Thread: Hawk Talk
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #883

Brakes, forks, and etc.

There is a thread about bad rear brake from lprewitt, if I spelled it correctly. He changed the fluid, and bled his brake until the brake fluid came out as clear as disilled water. Now, you and I don't know much about what the Chinese know about brake fluid. No doubt that the Chinese manufacturer of the brake fluid is supplying what he thinks is DOT 3 brake fluid, or the EU version of it. So, perhaps he is shipping the stuff to the asembly plant in 55 gallon (or the metric version of it) drums. The average worker in that plant knows nothing, except what he has been told, about brake fluid. You and I know, because there have been cars and pick-ups in our lives since birth. We know that the stuff is hydroscopic. We know not to use fluid that has been sitting around in an open container. I doubt that they REALLY know. They may have been told, but that's not the same as knowing. So perhaps they are careless about that drum of brake fluid. Air gets in it, carrying moisture and other contaminates. A factory like this is never really clean. I know, because I worked in one for a while. Working on an assembly line is no joke. The place is noisy. The line moves as fast as possible and still the expectation is a perfect product. I can tell you from personal experience that if you drop a bolt on the floor, loading your air wrench, you just get another one out of the container, because it's faster than finding the one you dropped. Now you have to get that bolt in there quick, because you've already lost 15 seconds. So if it gets in there cross threaded, but it's in there, you let it go. So the worker is not worried about the quality of the brake fluid he puts in there, he's just worried about getting it in there on time. So what? YOU care about the quality of the brake fluid, because traffic in this country demands good brakes. So, be smart and flush out whatever they put in there with American DOT 3 fluid, bleed them until there is not a trace of that brown stuff that came with it, and enjoy good brakes. ...ARH