View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #37

Long overdue update:

It's official. After a number of miles and months, I've found, at least on my RX3, that changing the exhaust to a more free flowing unit and eliminating the cat, makes no noticeable difference in performance. I think I may imagine a tad more under 5 grand but it's most likely my wishful thinking. No, there was no dyno involved, so if there's an improvement in numbers, I can't tell. I even pulled the baffle and ran an Uni filter at one point but it basically ran the same.....just far louder.

The Mrs. and I took out both RX3's over the holiday weekend. Hers is bone stock, mine has the free flow muffler. We ran them next to each other, WFO up the same steep hills, holeshots on flat ground from a stop and roll ons from 40 mph. The bikes were all but glued to each other (both have the same gearing).

My uneducated guess would be that the mapping of the EFI and spark advance really put limitations on what mods may accomplish. I don't think any mod will make much difference until we can achieve a reflash of some sort. Again, just a guess. I used to be a mechanic, but I don't even play one on TV anymore.

As stated prior, this was the experience with my bikes. Your results may vary. I'm thinking a stock pipe is in my future to quiet it back down.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350