Thread: Lifan usa
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I don't have direct experience from 'before' (2006 to about 2010), but many people had the GY-5 model here (Chinariders.net was based on that bike). They had a dealer network, but some importers managed to get either 'counterfeit' (if you listened to the old American Lifan) or grey market Lifans, that were very popular as mail-order bikes. However, there was ONE official mail-order company that would only sell bikes if there was no American Lifan dealer within a certain distance from you.

The revamped American Lifan is run by a completely different group of people and is headquartered in So. Cal., whereas it used to be headquartered in the Dallas area. From what I understand, unless importers manage to bring in grey area Lifans this time around (doubtful), American Lifan will only sell through authorized dealers. They have not seemed to even tease who ANY of their dealers will be, so no idea. I do know there will most likely not be any California dealers, because I called them; they are NOT CARB certified for California, but according to their EPA certification for a few of their bikes, they are 49-state EPA/DOT certified.
Im not in CA so 49 state legal is good enough for me! I am sceptical about them being available mid-june considering I haven't seen or been able to dig up any info on them coming here. That's why I was posting on here to see if anyone with any dealer connections or people with more knowledge hen me, have heard anything about the US release. The site has been up since 2016... It's odd that they would keep the site up so long and still not have bikes here.