Thread: Hawk Talk
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #797

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyC View Post
Looks like you also have a head gasket seeping oil in those pics. That's why there's an oil film there where the head meets the jug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Well, I said 1 1/2 turns out on the idle mixture adjustment screw. 2 1/2 is almost to where the screw will fall out. The idle speed screw will only reduce engine speed if the throttle cable isn' too tight. To help your memory a little, the idle mixture screw controls the fuel mixture only at, and just above, idle. The pilot jet controls mixture from just above idle to 1/4 throttle. After 1/4 throttle the needle adds to the amount of gas supplied by the pilot jet. From 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, the needle is richening the mixture, with the help of the pilot jet. From 3/4 throttle to wide open, the mixture is almost totally controlled by the main jet, the pilot jet adds a little fuel. So, once you learn where 1/4 throttle is, if the engine runs bad in this range, it's the pilot jet. If it runs ok down low, but gives trouble above 1/4 throttle, the problem is either the needle position or the main jet. If it pulls good at anywhere above 3/4 throttle, the problem is not the main jet, it is the needle position. The needle clip should be in the middle slot on the upper part of the needle. This is the basic way to set up a carburetor. If it is set like this, and still runs lousy, it is either a problem in the carburetor OR THE VALVES ARE SET TOO TIGHT. .002 on the intake, and .003 (inch) on the exhaust is the spec. If the previous owner never set the valves, this could be the root of your problem...ARH
Thank you all for your help.
I will go through the carb and make sure it is set like that. If I remember correctly, The needle is set at the bottom, not the middle, I'll change that. I'll also go get a set of feeler gauges and adjust the valves, the blue one I'm working on has about 600 miles on it so it could be the valves.
If all else fails ill send the carb back and find something else that will work I guess.