View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #14

Well, the carb and CDI/Coil came in this morning. I threw the carb on first, and set the idle to WFO (Figure I can always adjust down once started) Got all my lines hooked up, and turned her over and nothing, ran the battery completely flat. I did a quick once over on everything and it looked good, so started kicking it over, and nothing, didn't even seem like it was trying to start.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated at this point, so I sit down, and and drink a little coffee and vape a bit to re-center myself. After I chill a bit, I start going over everything with a fine tooth comb. It turns out that what I though was the fuel line, was the line to the vacuum petcock! Hmm, maybe that's why it's not starting! So I hook everything back up correctly and grab the battery from the Blaze since I was getting a bit tired of kicking it over. Turn the key, and hit the button, and after a few turns she fires back to life... at 4k RPM. Oh yeah, idle is set to WFO. crank the screw down to a more sane level (~1800, since it's cold).

Time to try the CDI, plug that in, and fire her up again, and runs no problem, then move on to the coil, again no problems. Notice, testing on piece at a time, last thing I need is to throw 4 or 5 parts on, and then not know what fixed the problem.

So I put all the plastics back on, and try to put on the luggage rack. Turns out that the M8 bolts are completely stripped out. So, since I need to head to Advance to pick up some vacuum line to remove all the evap emissions crap, I throw the one good bolt to check the threads pitch and gear up for a test ride. At this point, I know I'll either not make it to the end of the driveway, or I'll make it to Advance. Well, let's just say that the evap system is gone and the luggage rack is back on! Once again it's riding well. There is a bit of a bog at WOT so I'll need to bump up the main jet at some point, but it's minimal, so I'm not going to worry about it at this point and let her break in the rest of the way.

As for the Blaze, she's still in a bit of a holding pattern, I've got new main jets due here this afternoon and the UNI filter due Monday, but the pilot jets I ordered were the wrong ones, I think I found the right ones on jets r us so I have a 25, 27.5 and a 30 coming , but I can't be certain when they'll get here, should be before next weekend. I'm going to start with a 110/25 set up, which is 2 steps richer then what came pre-installed in the carb and we'll go from there based on throttle response and performance, as well as plug appearance. At least with the UNI filer removal of the carb should be worlds easier!