View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I've only researched the valve cover style that Matt offers, not the drain screen cap style. China Riders, please share opinions about which style you'd prefer and why. I would think that just for ease of oil changes, the valve cover style would be a benefit. Also, with the cooler mounted vertically, would everybody route oil out of the engine into the top of the cooler (like a conventional radiator) and then out of the bottom and into the engine? What about if it is mounted horizontally?

Jerry, your installation looks terrific! Very tidy.
Thanks, I went with the drain screen cap because I liked the idea because I know all the oil is being pumped through the cooler. I wasn't too sure on how much of the oil is passing through the valve cover style. Matt offers both styles and his kits do have the stack plate coolers but he was still waiting on shipment of the new kit. I wanted to have mine install before I took it on my trip this past weekend so impatient me I ordered the one I have. I think Matt has a better cooler and will order a stack plate cooler later on. As far as oil change I drain from the plug on the bottom anyway. The screen inline is easy to remove and clean. I have mine feeding from the bottom and out the top so I have no problems purging the air out the system after an oil change and no need for a check valve as the oil doesn't drain back into the block. Being it's so small I don't think it will make a difference. I tried mounting it horizontally but the fender block most of the air flow to the cooler. I had put a 1" plastic spacer between the fender which dropped the fender and had enough clearance. Personally either cooler is better than no cooler. Over the weekend I put close to 160 miles on it in mid 90's heat. Cooler defiantly working as you can feel the heat dissipating off the cooler. I thought about mounting a couple of small e-fans for when off road trail riding when you know your going to slow to cool it off. I put e-fans on my turbo intercooler for drag racing to cool it down while lining up for the next race.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel