View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
Hey all. During the colder months my RX3 would sometimes start, idle for a moment and then die. Sometimes it was hard to get started after but most times would start and stay at idle after first or second attempt. It's warm out now and it started exhibiting the same behavior. But this time seems harder to get it to start and stay at idle. Talked to Gerry and thinking maybe a voltage issue? Anyhoo, I dont have a volt meter but am borrowing one. I did re-tighten my battery terminals and was able to start the bike 4 times in a row with out dieing after initial idle. This morning it died once and then seemed to be ok. I also feel like at around the 5-6k rpm that I feel a slight hesitation as I throttle up thru the gears. I dont hear an engine pitch change, just a hesitation. Any feedback appreciated. Thx!!
Ya know.....this has been an ongoing issue for most of us from time to time and I've noticed it on both of mine, the blue one not so much but the white one definitely.

Of course, make sure your valves are adjusted properly and (as you've done) make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. I put dielectric grease on mine.

Another thing that I've noticed with both of mine and that has to do with "battery health". When the bikes sit a while, the symptoms will act up on both. Stalling and noticeably harder starting. Especially the white one I have to crank for a while, when cold....BUT....this Winter I've had them both on float chargers for the first time, and they both fire up quickly and stay running now.

I'm really starting to think that it's a voltage issue more than anything. I think these things need "max voltage" to run and function properly all the time, thanks to the computer controls and fuel injection.

I'm really thinking it could be a combo between valves and a good, strong battery that's well-connected.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350