View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 02:40 AM   #11

I went by my local Cyclegear shop and picked up a replica of the Bikemaster, it seemed like the best fit when eyeballing the nipple size. I later found it online and the claimed size is 5.7mm for #3 slot. After using I didn't like the weight and shape of it, and I found one some of the steeper angled spokes I could barely get a 1/8 turn before it hit the rim and caused a tiny gouge the shiny, new Warp9, then I would have to transfer over to the opposite side of the wheel to get another tiny turn. The #3 fits onto nearly all of the RX3 nipples, but some require more effort and wiggling than others, and often its hard to tell if its seated properly, which could result in rounding off the nipple. Its not the wrench's fault, the nipples are low grade (soft) material and have some variability in their size.

I decided to try the other option at the local shop, a replica of Spud's Tusk wrench. It offers 5.6mm and 5.8mm interchangeable heads for about double the cost of the Bikemaster. It is much lighter and feels nicer in the hand, and I can get a fuller turn of the spoke, making the job go faster. The 5.8mm does the job for almost all of the nipples, however a few feel loose but luckily they will fit in the 5.6mm. Sometimes one side of the nipple will fit the 5.8 while the other side will fit the 5.6. But with this wrench I found it easier to get more tension on the spokes with less chance of rounding the nipple off.