View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
When I was using my minibike to tow my gear the first trip out I galled the centrifugal clutch from the strain. Was stuck in engaged position... was happy the kill switch worked that day. It was slipping a lot and took some high revs to engage before that.

Upgraded to a bigger rear sprocket (60T if I remember right) and a Tav2 Torque Converter setup (Auto trans) and set the tension spring to its lowest torque setting. Used a 10t sprocket on the front.

Made a world of difference. Actually felt like I had six horses pulling on the throttle. Never had a problem with the clutch in the torque converter galling. It struggled on the hills with the current load I haul now though. But was still holding up to the abuse.

Haven't had any issues like that with the Rhino and the sprocket change. The last trip the load out was somewhere between 6-700 lbs + 200lbs of me. Honestly I'm kind of curious when the clutch will wear out. Gonna have to pop it open sometime early this season and inspect it. Not getting any slipping or having to high rev it to engage so it must still be in good shape.

You guys would know better then me. If it is worn, the clutch lever will probably grab much later in the throw right? Just looking for some early warning signs a change is in my future.

Welcome to the forum BeyondHonesty.
When I got my Roketa 150, I built and extension on the rear rack to accommodate more buckets of dirt. I was hauling out of a wash and the angle was steep and it was very rocky. I smelled that clutch burning on the third trip and flipped the quad backwards....I overextended that damned rack. Gold fever.....If I can get one more bucket out with each trip...more gold. One minute I was navigating from rock to rock then suddenly saw nothing but the blue AZ sky thinking "This is going to hurt!" It did and that Roketa rolled over me and was gone in a flash! Good thing is when it flipped...all the dirt came out of the buckets and that lightened the quad to where it righted itself and had just a few scratches...not so lucky losing that paydirt though. I never pushed it like that again and this was back in 2013. Never had an issue with the clutch....chain jumped on the front sprocket eventually but I tightened the chain and that oldquad is still tearing up the desert.