View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl6935 View Post
Oui... I hope I can register the bike here, otherwise it's a brick to me. I'm buying an enduro so I don't have to lug a dirt bike around.

The bike is in transit and will be here Tuesday. I'm half tempted to reject the shipment. The sale guy said that I should have no issue registering it here, but was probably just telling me what o wanted to hear.

Does the the mco or title say for off road use only? What differentiates the hawk from other street legal enduros?
The problem, as I mentioned before, is that NJ is one of the few states that strictly go off the FMVSS list for registering vehicles. For whatever reason, RPS has not gone through EPA/DOT certification, but rather goes through EPA Off-Road certification. It is certified as an off-road motorcycle for 49 states, even though the Hawk has full street equipment. In fact, the more streetable Magician also sold by RPS that has the same engine is also certified as an off-road only motorcycle. I would suggest to reject the shipment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl6935 View Post
I just looked up the enforcer 250. Both bikes look identical. Are they manufactured by the same company?
They are not manufactured by the same company. China has long been accused of copying designs, but I think the case here, as with many lookalike bikes, is that all it takes to be legally a 'manufacturer' is to buy parts from suppliers and slap manufacturer plates on your bikes. The Enforcer is manufactured by Bashan and is 49 state certified by the EPA/DOT as an on-highway motorcycle. That bike and manufacturer WILL be in NJ's list since they get their list from the federal FMVSS list.

Here is a thread by a fellow NJ resident. His intentions were primarily off-road, and he does not ride it daily, so he is using a loophole. Read through his posts--it does not look good for the Hawk, so either you reject the order, or use his loophole. Even converting an out of state registration transferring to NJ will probably not work. I would suggest to get an Enforcer.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18289

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard