View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Thanks for the great write-up and fantastic photos! You hit the one con that people have been debating as of late regarding the Brozz/Shark's rear drum brake and if a drum is ok. Several have chimed in of this hidden 'danger' and I have gone on to mention that rear disc brakes on my Chinese enduro bikes have not been great, and that is with no dirt riding!
I've had the...um...pleasure of drums on trails before. They did fine. I was running Kenda Challenger tires on that bike and they really weren't the best for off-road traction but I still had to put a lot of pressure on the brake to slow down on descents. With the aggressive tread of the rear tires I put on the Hawks and that rear disc, I felt I could use more braking to stay slower for longer on a descent. The rear disc doesn't work well on the tarmac because most of your braking is with your front...all the weight shifts forward and you immediately lock up.

Long story short, I feel that drums on a light bike like the Brozz/Shark that will be mostly tarmac makes sense and will work fine. Discs are nicer and are better for braking certainly, but make more sense for low speed off road work on light bikes like these.