View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Ben, have you thought about looking out of state, or maybe applying for waivers for some of the more onerous requirements as a small startup dealer? One thing I wouldn't skip on is the insurance. Especially if you're going to have a demo bike. Thanks to the fine contributions of lawyers to our society, someone is going to wreck the demo bike and then find a way to make it your fault... I would talk to PistolClass and see if it made sense to start out with the ten bikes and fly under the radar to see how they go. Maybe provide a lot of support for the tag and title process instead of actually doing it for the customer. The model you put forth is something that would scale very well if it works, or would be easy to shut down with very little loss of investment capital if it went screwy. Just my (unsolicited) musings.
There's no way around the legalities to be a true dealer. However, you mention some possibilities. Where I am, it would be hard to pull it off while owning a small shop. I'm constantly being visited by code enforcement because I have so many bikes sitting outside when my door is open. They go inside when I'm not working. I'm sure it's people around me thinking I'm a junk yard, or some such nonsense. I could buy bikes, reg them in my name, and resell them. I'm not sure if I would make enough profit to make it worth it.