View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunrunner Doc View Post
Just here to update. I finally installed the Mikuni carb, 125 main jet, and also performed the exhaust and airbox mods that Motocheez shows on YouTube.

My biggest mistake initially was grossly underestimating how much more airflow I was getting. I initially started out with a 115 main jet, which was great for the new carb without any exhaust mods or airbox mods. After performing the mods, the bike was just running so lean, even when I switched out the main jet for a 120. Ultimately settled on a 125, but I would have experimented with a 130 if I had one. Cold starts are definitely MUCH easier now, and I feel like I'm getting better mpg. Throttle response is much better, and I'm getting substantially better torque going up hills and getting up to speed. The new exhaust also sounds much deeper, and it's just enough more volume without being obnoxious. I don't think Motocheez explains this in his video, but the new exhaust is pretty much just the pipe. There's no packing or anything throughout, so pretty much the only thing standing between the exhaust at the headers and the open air is a 2" wide mesh screen in the muffler.

After going through this ordeal and having to remove/replace the carb so many times, I've grown fond of the idea of using a K&N universal cone filter instead of the stock airbox. Has anybody else thought of doing this/done it? My only fear is that I'm already running a 125 main jet with the needle as high as it goes (clip on the bottom rung), and getting a K&N filter is just going to cause me to run too lean again.
I wonder if your float level is correct. Did directions come on the carb box on how to check the float level? 125 main sounds about right, but normally with the needle in the middle slot. How is it picking up off idle to 1/4 throttle?...ARH