View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
So over the years I have owned motorcycles with horrible clutch's mostly Bultaco's and recently a Royal Enfield 350 that took incredible effort to make work correctly. My CSC TT250 clutch has always made noise and become grabby after warming up. After quizzing CSC directly:

"The clutches do make some noise especially under initial load

20/50w oil helps but won't totally eliminate
Just part of the operation noise of that engine

Thanks

CSC motorcycles
Service manager
Gerry Edwards

OK I will try 20/50. Manual says 10/40
Thanks for responding.
Dave"

Is this true or do I need to fix this myself? The assembly looks great from the pictures seen on the tutorial but mine has always behaved shitty and I don't think its normal. This is my number 1 complaint from day one of owning my CSC TT250. I have about 1200 miles on mine with some heavy trail riding and a couple of long road rides thrown in. I switched to 15/40 diesel oil and that worked better then 10/40 motorcycle oil, that had the clutch working in an "on or off" clutch. I am an expert trials rider and a working clutch is a must for me. Dave.
When I was young (in the late 1950's) I tried trials a few times on my Ariel 350 Red Hunter, as a novice, and what little success I achieved was due to that Burman clutch the Ariel people were smart enough to put on their bikes. I have never ridden another bike with as good a clutch as that Ariel had. It was not really a wet clutch. It ran in an oil mist enviornment. The Ariel people claimed it was so good because it used cork linings. I think the real reason is that it was a superb design from the throw out mechanism all the way through. I suspect most of the clutch problems on the 229 cc Chinese engines is because it is a blown up 125. The original 125 cc clutch has been beefed up to handle each enlargement of the engine, with out re-engineering the clutch. Putting in stiffer clutch springs and bullet proof linings (to handle the increase in torque) is a patch job, not a re-engineering.