Thread: Hawk Talk
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurdy View Post
Hello ARH, a youngster such as my self this is my first bike ever (with a motor). One of my questions is I seen on here someone was saying that they kept the front sprocket (15T) and changed the rear to a (40t) and was cruising (stock) 55-70mph. Is that true? Also it took me about 4 days on the hawk before I finally went full throttle on this and being the height and weight hat I am I had my girlfriend to follow me in her 2016 Kia (Lol) to make sure my speed wasn't false, I was going about 60-63mph Full Stock, I weigh 130lbs and I'm 5'10, and I was in super man mode when I went full throttle but. Anyways onto my next question when I hit around 50+mph my back feels like it's (loose gravel underneath me feels like I'm gonna fall) and I haven't checked the spokes or messed with the rear tire alignment only the front and I'm curious in my situation what I can do to fix it if you have any advice would be much appreciated!
Thank you
-Dakota

P.S be gentle with your words of wisdom in text I'm young and don't understand old fashioned English, try to keep it morderen as possible for my sake of reading! I know you're looking for someone to make the modifications that you state on so many levels but I'm afraid I'll mess up my bike! Thank you again!

Here's my bike!
Nice bike! Congratulations on buying a Hawk. By far the best bike for the money (Bang for the Buck) available at this time. In my opinion. Now to your question. A knobby rear tire always feels loosy-goosy above 45 mph, and even more on gravel. If you can't get relaxed with that tire, but want to retain off road capabilities, I suggest you look into buying a Pirelli MT 43 trials rear tire. You still can't ride like a road racer, but it will help with the goosy-loosy stuff. Get back to me on where you ride, what kind of terrain, what percentage is off-road and anything else you can think of. Maybe we can tailor that new bike better to your riding style, and where you live. I did notice in your photograph of your bike that the front forks appear to be too high in the triple clamps. The fork tubes should be very close to level with the top of the upper triple clamp. The setting that you have has changed the rake and trail, making the steering very sensitive. This may be the source of that loose rear end.

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 02-02-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: A miss spell-add more info