View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #65

I'd echo what dualsportchic said about the RX3 not being a dual sport like the XT250 or CRF250L. You'll be quite disappointed if you're expecting that kind of offroad ability on the RX3.

I've used mine in the woods quite a bit and it's definitely not a dirt bike. The KLR 650 while heavier will outperform it due to suspension travel offroad. Any of the 250 dual sports would be a better choice if you're strictly after dirt with just a little pavement.

I would think of the RX3 as similar to something like the CB300 but with excellent crash bars a skid plate and built in luggage. It's basically got street bike suspension travel. This makes for a great handling bike on pavement within the limits of the suspension. However offroad if you want to go fast this is a poor choice as it runs out of suspension really fast and you'll lose control. Same for going over a log or anything like that, expect to whack the skid plate really hard. If you keep a slow pace the thing will get pretty far in the woods though as it's far lighter than other ADV bikes. If you watch the last minute or so of this video I made shortly after getting my RX3 you can see i'm speed limited by the suspension, I'm capable of riding significantly faster on rough dirt (75mph is comfortable for me). I was limited to about 30-40mph with the suspension travel. I had issues keeping pace with a couple of KLR's offroad due to this as well. Fast forward to 7:29.

I'm not trying to knock the RX3 but set people up with realistic expectations. If you took a standard 250 bike and slapped on some excellent crash protection, luggage and skidplate you basically got the RX3.

The upcoming KTM 390 ADV will probably be the real deal for offroadable lightweight ADV bikes but likely cost about 6000 when it shows.