View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

As Joe stated in the article, this is nothing new. Back when I was a kid and got my first 1964 Yamaha 80, and then a early 60's Honda 90 from my uncle, there was some older generation that insisted on making comments. Mind you, I was 9 at the time so I'm sure it wasn't pointed directly at me. More a blanket statement. I didn't care, I was a kid and had wheels. After all, some of these guys just got done fighting the war (or had dad's who did) and Pearl Harbor was still fresh in their minds. Now? Everyone drives a Toyota without batting an eye.

This same "wave" will eventually happen with the CB's and it will go away. Back then it was "Japanese Junk", now it's "Cheap Chinese". It's all the same and will fade.

Fact is, the Chinese have had the engines down for well over a decade and they have computers like everyone else. They can build whatever they want, as good or bad as they want.

It's all about economics. Yes, Kawasaki has the Versys 300 now....@ 5399 (non-abs)....but is also has no bags or crash bars. Will it probably be an awesome bike? Of course.....but again, it's about the economics. I bet you can pour an additional grand into dressing a Versys. You add to that many of us (lifelong) riders don't want or need the "latest greatest" in what's essentially a toy for most of us, and it's no wonder that we found the China Bike, especially those of us who love to tinker. To me, the CB was the perfect solution for the working class dude (or dude-ette). I get my bike....and I don't have to spend a ton....and it does exactly what I want. Get's me in the wind.

This will eventually all go away, just like it did in the 70's.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350