View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbrseven View Post
Today's update:
I flipped the inner tie rod ends so that they are on top, pointing down. The outer ends are already on top. They seem to be precariously close to the ends of their threads in this position. The bump steer did seem to improve, but it's definitely still a little squirrely. I'll get my dad to help me align the front end a little better tomorrow. Perhaps that's all it needs. IDK.
I encourage you to not think of the tie rod ends as right side up or upside down; rather, focus on what provides the best geometry for your quad. On mine, the solution was to mount both ends on the top side, pointing down; I guarantee that my quad is quite different from yours.

The bottom line is that the tie rod must follow a similar arc to that of the control arms. The best way to illustrate that is to place the front of the quad on a jack stand and then remove the shocks. When you cycle the control arms up and down, the wheel should remain pointed straight ahead. It is possible that your tie rod ends might be better installed from the bottom, pointing up. If the best performance is found with the tie rod ends on top, be sure to use some red Loctite on the jam nuts to prevent them from ever loosening as you ride.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer