Thread: Rpoc
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #122

Did some carb futzing today. Found a place called 6 Sigma Jet Kits that will build up a jet kit for your bike based on make, model, and elevation. http://www.6sigmajetkit.com/
Saved ten bucks by going through amazon.

Stock jets in my Ural were 130 main and 40 low speed. I felt the jetting was too lean after fixing all the PO induced problems. Basically white plugs. Also had a lot of farting and snorting on cold mornings. I upped the low speed to 42 and that helped a bit but still felt I was still too lean at speed. Plugs were still too light.

So, I ordered the kit and gave 6 Sigma my specs. Got a kit with three different sized main jets, 2 each of 127.5, 132.5 and 137.5. A pair of 45 low speed jets, a #35 drill bit and a 5/32 bit, a bunch of needle shims and several pages of instructions.

In a nutshell, replaced the 42 low speed jet with the 45, replaced the 130 main with the 132.5, used the #35 bit to open the air passage in the slide. Two needle shims are recommended and that's what I already had, so I did nothing there. Mixture screw 2.5 turns out and put the 5/32 bit in my drawer because I didn't need to drill out any caps. This is to establish a baseline.

First thing I needed to do was up the idle a tad. Idle is 800-1000rpm and 900 seems to be the happy place once warmed up. I was sitting at 600. After letting the engine warm up, the idle was set around 900 and I went for a short ride. Just from the 'seat of my pants', there is a noticeable improvement in throttle response and acceleration. It was a bit chilled (29F) today and I wasn't really dressed for an extended ride, so I didn't get a lot of testing in. One obvious thing is that the exhaust now has the same slightly rich scent as the CX.

Doing my annual 35-45 mile Polar Bear Ride tomorrow and will pull a plug when I get home but I already have a good feeling about what I will find.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts