Thread: TT250 hiccup
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 12:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparrob View Post
I suppose if you want to split hairs down to the transitional surface of the tapering cones of a 108 jet drilled to 117 vs. a standard 117 jet there probably is some infinitesimal difference on that surface. However, there was already a taper on the 108 jet and the orifice was only opened up .004", about the size of a hair.

Anyhow, I'm not looking to debate something which I really have no expertise in. I'm just searching for practical answers to get an inexpensive Chinese motorcycle to run smooth without hiccups.

All positive input is appreciated.
Aside from the transitional, the drilled hole is unlikely to be as smooth as a factory made one and can be crooked or otherwise imperfect. I've seen jets drilled and go leaner. The other caveat is that using a .046" bit doesn't guarantee a .046" hole. Bit and chuck quality, how the jet is secured, how the drilling is executed, whether the hole is de-burred, etc.; all can lead to different results.

I'm not knocking the practice, I've drilled fuel and nitrous jets many times, it just can't be reliably compared to a factory made jet's flow potential. This doesn't matter since you're tuning for yourself, it's just not a reliable recipe for someone else to follow.