View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
2LZ, mine does not stall. I'm running the higher temp thermostat and Iridium plug. I'm running 87 octane. Personally, I cannot understand how higher octane figures into this problem (or carbon build-up either). The name brand idea sounds interesting until you see that the same truck is delivering to COSTCO and EXXON. The additive package might be a bit different but not by much. Furthermore, lots of studies have shown that buying higher octane fuel is a waste of money unless the engine needs it due to higher compression or turbo. Gerry has years of experience so I'm not about to call BS, just that I do not understand the reasoning.

Peter Y.
I'm wondering if this whole stalling thing could be because of the cooler stat? Thanks for the heads up. It'l be good to hear from other "hotter stat" guys also.

I'm with you on the octane, basically. It's just out of years of habit more than anything that I run my bikes and yard tools on premium.

Other than the hot rods and high strung 2 strokes I've run in my younger years, I've noticed zero difference in running the different fuels in modern vehicles. I will say this for absolute positive though. Both my Jeep Patriot and our Challenger do run better and have more spunk with mid grade. It's definitely noticeable. It jumps both almost 2 mpg also. The Challenger actually recommends mid grade. though The Patriot recommends regular.....but even my car pool partner (nice gal, knows nothing about cars and has an identical Patriot) said after I filled with mid grade, "What did you do to your Jeep? I don't have to push on the pedal as far as mine to get going." If she noticed a difference, that let me know I wasn't dreaming.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350