View Single Post
Old 11-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #37

First DMV Visit is a Bust - No Help From TXPowersports

First visit the DMV has been a bust. They refused to register, title, or do anything with my Hawk because the MCO didn't say that the vehicle was legal for street use. They gave me a couple of forms to fill out and take the bike up to the Sheriff's office so they can inspect and verify the (non-existent) vehicle data plate that's supposed to be on the steering stem. I reached out to TXPowersports for some help and haven't heard back yet, however I noticed they updated the website after I bought my bike and they posted a disclaimer that the bike might not be legal in all 50 states... If they're marketing a vehicle as being street legal, it damn well ought to be street legal. The DMV even went so far as to dig into the registration of my DR, claiming that since it only had one cylinder it couldn't possibly be street legal. Needless to say, things were tense at the local DMV. They finally sorted out the DR, and I got it and the wife's daily driver renewed, but that was certainly not the best way to spend an hour and a half of my time this morning. I'll give the guys at TXPowersports until close of business tomorrow toget back with me before I get too bent out of shape. After that I'll call AmEx and see about reversing charges and TXPowersports can send someone to my place to pick up a fully assembled and modified Hawk 250... So to recap, insurance was fairly straightforward (still haven't heard anything from my broker about adding it, so no news is good news), but the DMV was less than cooperative. It seems that the red tape strikes again. The bike is running great, and i got the new exhaust and iridium spark plug in yesterday's mail. No sure how much sense it makes to spend some time continuing to mod out the Hawk when it doesn't look like I'm going to get to ride it anyways...

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up