View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #20

Thanks 2LZ!

A few more updates from CSC, WA DNR and USFS on my queries:

CSC: The plate I am speaking about is the Catalytic Converter, you are correct. From what I under stand they just check to see if the poker goes all the way thru the muffler with no obstruction, That what they don’t want to see, But I think by the converter blocking it that they will let that go by, That’s what I have heard from some people but I cant tell you 100% that that works for everybody or every place.

USFS: This is in response of your inquiry about your adventure motorcycle going to a place with OHV vehicles, you need your muffler be certified with a spark arrester.

I have followed up with that reply from the USFS: Thanks for your reply. I want to make sure I’m clear as I just received a bit of conflicting information from someone else. My motorcycle is a new street legal bike but has the ability to ride off-road (Adventure type motorcycle) and as such they don’t stamp them with certification for spark arrestors. The muffler does contain a catalytic converter in it which blocks the direct flow from the engine out the exhaust. Does this setup allow me to ride in USFS locations?

WA DNR: I’m Officer Ron Whitehall from DNR Law Enforcement assigned to the Northwest Region. To answer your question, If your bike is new and no modification to the exhaust have been done you are legal to ride on public streets and State Land trails. A spark arrestor was built into your new muffler. Street mufflers will be stamped DOT approved and off road mufflers will be stamped spark arrestor approved, both are legal mufflers. If you have any question please feel free to call me at 360-480-9369