View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWFarrier View Post
There's some people over on the TT 250 owners page on Facebook that have dropped down to a 43 using what I believe is a JT sprocket that they are opening up the center a bit and then flipping the stock sprocket and using that as a spacer. They seem to be getting good results with this setup. I'm thinking about trying it myself since my TT is used solely as a commuter and I'd like to have it turn fewer rpm since a good stretch of it is 55 mph. The only thing that I would like to do is machine down the stock sprocket so it doesn't protrude above the new one but that's more of a visual thing rather than a functional one.
With our 47 tooth, it's a really good, all-around gearing for it. It will sustain some higher speeds for a while but for regular commuting, I'd probably go with a 45 or 43. I went too far on Q and actually lost top speed on hills or headwinds due to lack of torque and too tall of gearing. I added a couple teeth and actually increased my top end because it kept it in the powerband.

Regarding hogging out the middle of the JT sprocket, it doesn't take much at all. Basically remove the paint and it will drop on. At least that was my experience.

My "personal jury" is still out on the double stacked sprockets. I'm going to be watching them for a while. To me, that huge c-clip on there is probably there for a reason, though one wouldn't think that the awesome raging power of a CG230 wouldn't require much. ;-)
I can say that I'd rather do the stacked sprocket option as opposed to separate spacers. More overall support. Just a personal opinion, not scientifically studied fact.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350