View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #13

So to remove the water pump seal, you need to remove the four bolts of the water pump. The one with copper washer will drain your coolant so make sure you have something to catch the coolant.

I would take the time to remove the gasket and put it in a safe place - it's super easy to bend it. I just went ahead and got a new gasket, it's less than a $1.

Remove the impeller, use a 12MM socket. Note that you will also have to use a 10MM allen wrench on the left side - similar step as if you were turning the bike to look for TDC.

After you have the impeller off, I used a pick. No pretty way to do it, just stick something on there and remove it. Gerry recommended a flathead but don't bother, no way you are getting it out with a flathead. The screw idea is good and it might be worth it.

Note that the diagram for parts on the CSC website is flat out wrong for the water pump seal. So glad that I went in person and ordered it to verify it was the right part. In the diagram it is Z13-117 but that's not the seal. Regardless of what pictures says, you want Z13-120. Hope this helps.

My seal went bad around 13,000 miles.