View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EachAdventure View Post
I am no expert, but I think you are confusing requirements for street legal bikes with that of off-road motorcycles. Also, I seriously doubt you will get your bike impounded for not having a stamp on your muffler. I go to all of the riding areas around Southern California regularly and not one of them checks anything above and beyond your current registration (green sticker or plate).

I also couldn't find this federal or state law anywhere other than this little bit on the USFS website:

http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/0...7/03511307.htm

The entire page seems to mostly address OHV's and not street legal bikes, even though there is a breif mention of what a dual-sport motorcycle is. Even then, it states that even though a muffler might have a stamp, it does not guarantee that it is tested and compliant. The document clearly states that a rod is to be used to feel for the spark arrester. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
There are some variations in the requirements and enforcement between street & off-road only bikes, but both require labeling. The rod test does apply whether or not it's labeled, they know people gut mufflers out. A non-labeled one isn't legal to use even if it passes, altho I assume most rangers wouldn't care about the stamp as long as it's not too loud and has an arrestor. I've never heard of an off roader being impounded for non-compliant stuff, but on the road it happens, tho I assume it takes more than just a stamp issue to go that far.