View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

Uh Huh. 13 Minutes. Sure. My Patootie.

I don't think this guy has ever worked on a Jeep that has spent ten winters outside and has never seen the inside of a garage.

I started at 7:30 am and finished at 3:30pm. Granted, that included one trip to HF for their big slide hammer puller and two trips to the office. Once, because the GM locked himself out of the building and I live closest. Second, to use our 20 Ton press to swap out the u-joint.

Big issue was the hub. It was not going to come out in one piece. I used the slide hammer to yank the drive flange from the bearing housing. Then used the slide hammer with a puller for a Dana 70 hub to get the bearing housing off the spindle. Once all that was dealt with and the u-joint was swapped, it fell back together.

Oh, yeah. Star headed flange bolts should be illegal. Once the heads rust, they're done. I ended up making a trip to Ace, too, for three new M12x90 hex head bolts to mount the hub to the spindle.

But, my efforts have eliminated the '53 MPH Death Wobble' and the 2nd to 3rd gear 'shudder' that sounded, and felt, like a bad trans mount.

Now I can quit trying to shoehorn the quad cab Chevy into a Jeep sized parking spot.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts