View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
2LZ, I read your experience with trying to remove the rotor from the stock wheel.

I'm trying to do the same thing now with no success.

Tried a heat gun on max setting for 5 minutes, then used my battery impact driver. No luck budging any of the bolts.

I'm thinking of using a torch....

I ordered a new stock rotor and bolts from CSC, thinking I would never get the old one off.

jb
I read in the tutorial that if you use a torch like Gerry did, make sure and not hit the spoke ends or it will wreck them.

I know I may be repeating stuff here but you're going to have to use a 1/2" air gun on them, with a nice sharp allen socket, with all your weight on it. It's the only way I got mine off. My gun was turned up on "high" too...and I still stripped two of them. Super soft, like unbelievably soft metal. I guess it's for expansion/contraction purposes?

If you don't have that available, take a grinder to all the bolt heads. You'll dig into the old rotor a little but you aren't re-using it anyway. Then peel the rotor off and grab the shanks with vise grips. You may want to re-heat the shanks for a few minutes each prior to trying to remove them.

Good luck and keep us posted!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350