View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
I looked around a little last night for the type of setup you have. Can't pinpoint what it is exactly. You may be able to get more torque out of it by changing the position of the rear spring. Not sure it has that ability though. Worth looking around on YouTube for that adjustment if it exists.

When you change the belt you want to remove the front clutch I believe and not touch the rear pulley. That rear spring is heavy duty and preloaded can be a pain to get back together right. I have changed a belt on my TAV2 clone trailside.. took 15 minutes but saved me a lot of pushing. But that is a different unit made for gokarts and minibikes. Pays to have a spare on hand. Little hard to get one locally when the problem comes up.

I do know they don't like getting wet. Belt will slip and burn up quick if your heavy on the throttle. Not sure how well the units are sealed up on the ATV's and if they slip badly when wet. Was why I went with a manual transmission. I needed a mule that can get wet and take shallow water crossings. If you do have that problem just sitting idle for a minute for the water to spit off the pulleys will reduce your belt wear drastically.

Any of you guys have any tips or experience with this. I don't have any directly related to ATV's yet.
Yeah I'm thinking of changing some springs out to say 1500 rpm engagement on the clutch. Not a whole lot of wide open high speed on our 5 acre's(330'x660'). Some good hills and ravine's. So need that low end torque for sure😉.

Def gonna get a new belt probably pony up and get a Gates belt instead of the el cheapo $7-8 belt that may burn up quick again. Think the Gates is $21-22 online. Anyone know the measurements on these GY6 clutch belt?

Thanks Darth!😊