View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #1

Low Buck AC For My Garage

Because I was whining about the awful heat this past week, Weldandgrind posted a Youtube video on how to make a really cheap AC unit. Well, I made one and after a hiccup or two, it works. Of course, I had to make it my own and did things just a bit differently.

Behold, the Wheezy Green Cheesy Breeze Machine.

The bugger consists of an old Coleman 48 qt cooler, two 2" 45* PVC elbows, two 2" PVC couplers, two Delco style plugs, a 12v 1.5a fan, a project box, a switch, a 12v 3a power supply, and a whack of zip ties.

I didn't take pics of the build because "I was making it up as I go". As such, I wasn't even sure it would work. But here is why I used the 45* elbows and couplers.

The couplers fit tightly into the drink holders located in the lid. I added some RTV to keep them in place. The elbows slip in the couplers and I can move them where I want.

I didn't have a lot of ice available for a major test but I did have enough to see that it will work.

Temp in the garage. This was actually comfortable compared to the past few weeks.

After a few minutes run time.

After I got smart and opened the bag, then let the fan blow directly on the ice.

With hindsight being 20/20, I would have not used the Delco plugs and, instead, would have installed an 'M' style 5mm female jack in the switch box. I could have just plugged the power supply into the box. Too soon old, too late smart.

I'll pick up a 5lb bag of ice tomorrow, close up the garage, let it run for a few hours and see if it cools things down a smidge.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts