View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #207

In Summary:

Tearing this brand new CSC TT250 completely apart (minus major motor work), giving everything the “2LZ Stink Eye” and reassembling it, has been a blast. There’s nothing better than wrenching on something new and clean.

The CSC TT250 in my experience appears to be the nicest Hondoid built to date. The fit and finish, flexible plastics, added extras, and the overall feel of quality for a China Bike, is vastly improved compared to even just a few years ago. As I’ve mentioned prior, there’s no more reason to keep a drill handy just to make things line up.

The only problems I had were the bolt holes for the side covers, and that was caused of my laziness. After you pop the side covers in the grommets, take a flashlight and make sure that the bolt holes are lined up with the holes in the plastics. I had to run a tap through them once each side, due to trying to “wiggle fit” the bolts in the holes. Take your channel locks and slightly tweak the brackets to line up with the holes, if they even need it. You’ll save yourself a little grief.

There are still some “Old World” relics on the bike, such as the no-link rear shock setup, the same ol’ box tubing steel swingarm and heavy steel rims, both of which add generous amounts to un-sprung weight. All of these items have been addressed long ago by Q Link/Konker/SSR,….but you’ll pay for it. The new SSR XF 250 comes in at around 2799.00+, depending on website….plus, where’s the service and parts?

For a CA legal (50 state) bike, and as nice as the TT250 has turned out for the price, I feel it’s more than worth it, even with some old world engineering in spots. You add to that value with excellent and completely accessible customer service (Ryan and Sara, et al), phone technical help (Gerry and crew), and prompt, available parts supply, it’s a no-brainer compared to what I consider a “slightly better bike” with newer technology in the SSR. It’s what tilted the scales and the main reason we made our purchase from CSC, when both the TT250 and SSR XF250 were on the table. (Reminder: Hawks and Storms are not available here)

Seeing how well the TT250 was built and put together during the project was a surprise bonus to our purchase. Even the frame is noticeably beefier (and made of real tubing) than that of Hondoids offered just a few years ago and some that are still marketed today. The bolt holes line up and I had not one single “Chinese butter bolt” strip out on the entire project. Other than Q, this was a first for me.

I also felt that the extra care taken and additional bling that CSC/Zongshen have provided, that includes the balance-shaft motor, 300 watt stator, two accessory plug-ins, upgraded switch gear with built-in A+B switches for accessories, USD forks with dampening adjustment, LED turn signals, fully adjustable rear shock that includes dampening adjustment and to me, the extra mile gone with things such as the use of stainless hex head bolts for the exterior trim pieces, and the fancy flush mount locking fuel cap, were all very classy touches that put the cherry on the proverbial cake.

My impression of the CSC TT250 is that it’s a very good value for the 1895.00 plus fees that many paid…and well worth a look at the 2195.00 retail, especially if you’re here in CA where your purchasing options for streetable China Bikes are very limited. The next step up would be the Suzuki DR200SE but at 4195 (add 200.00 for CA), it still comes with 90’s-style plastics, regular forks and an antiquated and heavy rear drum brake for 2017. This may be totally acceptable for a 1200.00 China Bike, but it’s thoroughly unacceptable for an expensive, “modern”, Japanese bike. This alone makes the both CSC TT250 and the SSR XF250 at their retail prices, look like smokin’ deals.

To finalize, I can honestly say that the CSC TT250 is a very solid and comfortable little bike, and now that’s it’s breathing properly, geared for our area, with the suspension set up correctly for us, it’s a real hoot to ride. We just can’t lose sight of what it is,…an inexpensive, small displacement, light commuter that’s great on gas. A reliable fun-runner and trail bike, ….and it’s dang good looking too. Now that I see how it ticks, I have no regrets on its purchase or the price and I’m looking forward to many years of good service from it.

For those who have been following this thread, thanks a bunch. I hope you enjoyed it and may have learned something. I know I did both.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350