View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #161

Things I've Discovered

A while back, one of our China Riders, I believe with a Hawk(?), TXDSRIDER, posted a thread regarding the cheap Chinese screws and how it snapped off in his brake master. I took the opportunity to swipe the first pic here from his thread and you see the end result.

I think I found the culprit. Of course, small screws are always subject to more issues than larger, stronger screws just by nature. There's not as much material, smaller threads, etc...

I went to remove the master cover last night to bleed the front brake and I was remembering his thread at the time. The screw next to the grip came right out cleanly, the screw next to the banjo fitting wouldn't budge. Instead of fighting it with a regular Phillips, I busted out my rechargeable, light duty impact. It's perfect for these situations. One quick <bzzz> and it came right out without stripping the threads or wallowing out the head....and this is what I found.

It seems that when (some of) these masters are filled with the spongy brake fluid from the factory, there may be an over-fill and some of it finds its way down the screw hole. Of course, DOT 3 is very corrosive and you see the result. It's not that the little screw is too cheap, it's that it's living in an adverse environment. I hit it lightly on the wire wheel (so light it didn't burn my fingers) and it took most of the threads with it thanks to the extensive corrosion. They didn't stand a chance.

I ran a small tap down the hole to clean it out and I did put the screw back in carefully when we were done bleeding. I'll contact CSC to get a new one shipped.

Anyway, when you go to dump this crap brake fluid, be very careful gang.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 02-07-2018 at 12:06 PM.