View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! :-)
Being a wrench since I was a wee tot (youngest of three gearhead brothers), I've never had to learn to weld...because I always traded mechanical jobs for welding work for my buddies who could weld. Helped me escape the trade for a long time. Now? I'm not so lucky...nor do I want to swap a brake job for a weld anymore.

Yes jimwildman, it's just the little flux core unit from HFT. No MIG. I got a stack of HFT gift cards for a birthday one year. With those and a Super Coupon, I got the welder, rolling cart, extra wire and auto-darken helmet for about 20.00 out of pocket! Cheap way to start....

I think I'll practice a bit on some thin stuff and give it a whirl. If I really suck, I'll tack it and take it to the muffler shop. ;-)
I'm sure you know all this general stuff best benefits with welding usually come when time is taken to clean the areas being welded and the ground contact area to bare metal. Something I don't bother to do, wonder why I always have to buy grinding disks?

Be sure to take plenty of pics of your welds so we can destroy them from the comfort of our easy chairs.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~