View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0ss View Post
Yeah I think I resigned myself to do that. I have a 13/15/17 front sprocket and I believe they can all be used without changing the number of links. I know the 15/17 can haven't really felt the need to try the 13 yet

I guess I need a small master link tool any recommendations?
I have never heard of a master link tool. I used a small screw driver to spread the open end of the master link spring clip, then wiggled the screwdriver to get the top of the spring clip out and over the groove in the pin. So, if you are with me so far, put the screw driver where it won't get lost, or stab you, then just use your fingernail to get the bottom half of the spring clip out of the same groove. Now the spring clip will (sometimes needs a little push) hang up and down. Notice that the spring clip has two parrelel groves on the inside. So repeat the fingernail routine on the other pin. BE CAREFUL, you don't want to drop or lose the spring clip. Now work the outer plate (that the spring clip held in place) off of the two pins. Then I just worked off one end of the master link at a time from the chain.