View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #38

Forks

Good morning fellow China Riders.

As kohburn and I discussed yesterday, I decided to open up the right fork and go in after that o-ring. All was going well and I was taking pics as I was moving along....until I got the cap off, the fat rubber washer removed and placed it in the vise. BTW, the cap is held in place by the usual double-nut setup.

On a side note, it is kinda cool how that little screw/rod works, once I got it in my sights (see pic on workbench with needed supplies on hand). I can tell you that the little screw head is "in place" in the cap and the rod threads into it, via a slot and flat blade type of joint. The tricky part is when you're screwing that rod back into the cap....to line up the blade with the slot and finish threading it in. If the screw isn't turning as you turn the rod, they aren't mated together. Keep that in mind.

As you can see, the inner piece of that cap has been thread locked with something akin to red locktite. I had a long wrench on it trying to coerce it back and forth but to no avail. I didn't want to destroy it or spin off the aluminum head of the thing. I was aware that something like this may occur from a post I had read on advrider but I was hoping for a work-around.

In the meantime, I've emailed Ryan with a pic and am hoping for a warranty replacement for it....before I take a torch to this one and try to bust it lose. We'll see. I just didn't want to go after this with a torch yet until I had a backup.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 03-27-2017 at 05:09 PM.